Pages

Monday, November 4, 2013

Beautiful Transparency

After reading Anne Wysocki’s article, The Sticky Embrace of Beauty, and at first being thoroughly confused at what seemed to be her shifting stance on the topic of beauty, I believe I can now safely say that “beauty is in the eye of the beholder.” To summarize twenty-seven pages of Wysocki’s discourse about what makes an image or design beautiful, I would readily point to the afore-mentioned cliché. Or, I could sum up the main idea in Wysocki’s own words: “If we see beauty as a quality we build, rather than one we expect to discover, then we can potentially see beauty—and other aesthetic qualities like coherence or unity or balance—as shared values we can both celebrate and question” (169). In other words, beauty is subjective and not an inherent property of an object.

As part of her attempt to define beauty, Wysocki sought to understand why the Peek ad should elicit feelings of “pleasure and anger” in her.  She therefore drew upon and analyzed the theories of Robin Williams, Rudolf Arnheim, Molly Bang, and Joel Kant (to name a few) to formulate her own thesis about the association between beauty and pleasure. I don’t want to re-write the entire article; I only mention this because it would be interesting to apply some of these theories to the topic of “pleasing, effeminate discourse” described in Kathleen Jamieson’s paper, Eloquence in an Electronic Age. Jamieson stated, “Where manly discourse persuades, effeminate discourse pleases” (803). She commented on several of the perceived differences between the written and spoken discourse of men and women, and one of those perceived differences is the “ornamental” or “flowery” style common to women. Well, I think even those adjectives of “ornamental” and “flowery” insinuate something of beauty. So, what makes a woman’s speech or prose beautiful? Could we apply the same principles of imagery proposed by Wysocki to this specific area as well?

On a new tangent, Jamieson expressed her idea that the “self-disclosive, narrative, personal, ‘womanly’ style” is to the benefit of modern-day politicians (811). This very idea is also espoused (although not in terms of feminism) by Clive Thomson, who wrote a blog post titled The See-Through CEO about the importance of companies building up their reputation and boosting their revenue by being completely transparent on blogs and other online sites. He predicted, “One can imagine how the twin engines of reputation and transparency will warp every corner of life in years to come, for good and ill.”

Speaking of transparency, I usually take forever writing up a blog post for this class. However, because of the mothering instincts of my roommate, I’ve made a pinky-promise to write this in an hour, so I can dedicate the rest of my night and early morning to writing an essay due in another class. Therefore, I realize my writing is a little disjointed this time around, but feel free to start a conversation about any of the ideas I briefly mentioned! (If I had more time, it would’ve been fun to pursue some of them more in depth). Or wait…maybe that’s a sigh of relief I hear coming from you: “Yes! Not another freakishly-long post!” Haha; well, the timer just went off. Until next time.

5 comments:

  1. Sadie,
    More than anything else, I enjoyed your closing remarks. I think I could physically feel the countdown as you raced to type out those final sentences.
    So what got my attention from your post is the “beauty is in the eye of the beholder” summary. This does to an extent summarize Wysocki’s point, but I think the statement needs to include that the eye of the beholder is not necessarily a discrete and individualistic eye, but rather an eye constructed from the values of the society in which it attained vision. Your quote of Wysocki does well to sum up the point, but one of the biggest purposes of this essay, I think, was to expose misconceptions of beauty as perpetuated through hundreds of years of male-dominated discourse. What is exposed is precisely the subjective nature of beauty from the subject/male dissemination. I think the cliché should be changed to the following: “Beauty is in the socially-constructed-by-the-dominant-ideology eye of the beholder.”
    Beauty does seem to be subjective, but I think there is a quality that is immanent in objects/phenomena that inspires pleasure, something for which beauty may not be the right word. Theorist have called such things sublime, but I wonder if those things determined to be sublime are subjective also. I want to say that there are things I’ve seen that have inspired in me a sensation that is just about unexplainable, things that are unrelated to social constructs of beauty, but now as I think of examples, it seems that all of these sensations have been related to the operations of the world as I was taught to understand it. This is becoming too much for my brain. Thanks for the post. It made me think plenty as usual. Talk about disjointed!
    -Aaron

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for adding the clarification; you're totally right! I also think your idea of beauty--or the sublime--as a property inherent in objects is very interesting. Although you were quick to add, "it seems that all of these sensations have been related to the operations of the world as I was taught to understand it," I think you were on to something there. Those "examples" you had in mind--did they include things such as the night sky? I think people pretty universally throughout the ages have been held in awe of the starry night; do you think those "social constructs of beauty" have just passed down from generation? Or might this commonality among peoples speak in favor of your earlier proposition?

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my examples was the sky/moon/sun haha There's no doubt something mesmerizing about the sky, and the celestial has been inseparable from society since early human origins, so it would be difficult to say whether or not the fascination is socially inherited. Perhaps the sky's ability to hold humanity spellbound for all of human history and its tenacity to culture and society are the evidence of its inherent beauty/worth/value. Even, or especially, science can't get enough of the sky. Opsis poetry and potluck Monday night by the way. I'll send the details to your e-mail address.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is interesting that feminine discourse/language is ornamental and flowery, and we see that as beautiful. On the other hand, male discourse is rigid, competitive, and unemotional, and society sees that as the ideal language being used, yet it is not seen as beautiful. Why can’t these two be both beautiful and right? Surely there is beauty with discourse that is not flowery, that is “rational” and “competitive”, but we do not see it as beauty, but rather correct. I think this further proves the age-old cliché to be true, that beauty is certainly in the eye of the beholder. However, the beholder might not be an individual anymore, but rather a society so deeply impacted by the dominance of men that society has such a problem identifying beauty and correctness as two concepts that could possibly be one in the same.

    There is the strong possibility that I am not making any sense right now, for I have spent too many hours at the library.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No worries, you're making sense. :-) To steal Aaron's phrase, “Beauty is in the socially-constructed-by-the-dominant-ideology eye of the beholder.” Who's to say that "manly" discourse isn't beautiful? Most of would say a waterfall in a tropical, humid setting is "beautiful," but couldn't the vast, barren landscape of the arctic tundra be beautiful as well? The beauty is just of a different kind, and I think this concept could also apply to rigid, competitive discourse vs. ornamental, flowery discourse.

    ReplyDelete